Flowminder is a pioneering, internationally operating non-profit organisation that supports disaster relief and development efforts through several products including the analysis of data gained from mobile phones and household surveys in privacy and security preserving manners. We are now looking for a software developer to help develop our backend application code to support the enhancement of our existing products. Our applications support the manipulation of data in a repeatable and efficient way.
As a Software Developer you will:
- Work to contribute to, and further develop, our Python based applications.
- Support (and even contribute to) the development of the web-based tools that front our applications.
- Take algorithms from our Data Scientists and understand enough about them to be able to create software that implements the algorithms exactly whilst conforming to our data architecture.
- Contribute to projects that aim to put useful indicators into the hands of decision makers in low- and middle-income countries.
- Work with a diverse and cross-functional team of engineers, developers, trainers, academics, and data scientists.
This role requires deep technical knowledge plus both the ability to communicate about that knowledge and contribute to better internal processes.
- Be a strong Python coder with an excellent understanding of SQL.
- Be familiar with the processes at each stage along a data pipeline.
- Be comfortable working with databases of millions of rows and be able to demonstrate an understanding of the design decisions necessary to measure the suitability of any given data model.
- Understand the typical transformations (intermediate tables, aggregations etc) performed on data and how they can be done efficiently.
- Understand what is involved in integrating our application's data output with the dashboards of 3rd party applications.
- Be able to break down applications into individual services.
- Be familiar with containerisation (especially Docker).
- Have a good working knowledge of APIs (their use and development) and understand what it’s like to develop on both sides.
- Have experience supplying metrics about the performance of an installed application.
- Implement best practice around security and data privacy
- Be fluent in English including in a technical environment. French/Portuguese would be a bonus.
- Working on remote servers.
- Containerisation (especially Docker)
- Databases (especially PostgreSQL)
- GIT and GitHub
- Some frontend development
Familiarity with the following would be a bonus:
- Numpy, Pandas
- Continuous Integration (especially CircleCI)
- Docker and Docker Hub
- PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- GeoJSON and other geodata formats
- Data Analysis (although this is *not* an analysis position)
- 33 days holiday including national holidays
- Pension Scheme
- Flexible working
- 37.5 hour week
- Annual cost of living salary review
This role is based in either Southampton or Stockholm. Flowminder is a flexible organisation so allows a flex between home-working and the office. Exceptional candidates may be able to work from any of our locations.
With the current Covid-19 situation all UK based staff are working at home until further notice.
How to Apply
You must have the right to work or a visa for the country you aim to work in.
To apply, please send us your cv with a cover letter explaining
- why you are applying for this role
- where you saw it advertised
- the skills you believe you can bring to Flowminder
Applications for this role should be sent to email@example.com
First stage interviews are used to screen shortlisted candidates, followed by a presentation of a small piece of work or test and second interview for candidates that have been selected to progress.
For any questions relating to this role or general recruitment please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications.
Flowminder operates a diversity and equality policy and is a open to applications from all sections of society, regardless of; race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other aspect. We particularly welcome applications from underrepresented groups in the development sector.
We are keen to receive your application, thankyou for considering applying to Flowminder.