Flowminder is a non-profit foundation that specialises in the analysis of anonymised mobile phone data, satellite imagery, and household survey data for humanitarian and international development purposes.
Our mission is to enable decision makers to access the data they need to transform the lives of vulnerable people, at scale. We are striving to create a world in which decisions that can improve the lives of vulnerable people are based on the most appropriate evidence.
We are looking for a Data Analyst & Trainer to perform analysis and deliver training on how to effectively analyse and interpret mobile phone data, allowing users to utilise mobile phone data for evidence-based decision-making.
Your work will involve undertaking data analysis yourself on large-scale datasets such as call detail records (CDRs) produced by Mobile Network Operators (MNOs), and training others (e.g. MNO staff, statistical agencies, non-profit organisations) on critical aspects of data access, analysis and use.
You will raise awareness and build capacity in the use of mobile phone data for teams and organisations from the government, humanitarian, and development sectors (with a focus on low- and middle-income countries). You will ensure they are aware of how mobile phone data can be used to address their use cases; understand the basic concepts and acquire sufficient knowledge to be able to work with mobile phone data themselves.
Your duties will be split between two areas:
- Training and Capacity Strengthening
- Develop training curricula and resources/materials with significant analytical content as well as code and data pipelines (with support from senior scientists, code developers and engineers internally)
- Design and run online and in-person training courses, seminars and other related learning events for data analysts from government, private sector and civil society who want to effectively analyse and interpret mobile phone data
- Develop assessment frameworks for benchmarking baseline skills and understanding; and assessing the subsequent skills development of trainees
- Data Analysis and Extraction from Databases
In addition to training others in data analysis, the incumbent will be required to contribute to the data science work of Flowminder. You will be expected to conduct your own data analysis/research, including:
- Using established methods, workflows and tools, conduct data analysis to produce analytical outputs (e.g. aggregates, mobility indicators and insights) from MNO data
- Perform database queries / data management / large data processing
- Perform data analysis including:
- Data cleaning
- Data integration
- Standard analysis
- Interpret results
- Assess the limitations of the data
- Protect data subjects’ privacy, including acting in accordance with GDPR
- Choose dissemination methods that are appropriate for users’ technical capacity
- Ensure results and conclusions are communicated clearly and can be understood by a non-technical audience.
- Clearly communicate any limitations of the data
- Take into account ethical issues around how data will be used
To join us as a Data Analyst & Trainer, you’ll need:
- A master’s degree in a relevant field, e.g. statistics, mathematics, physics, ecology and/or computer science (demonstrable equivalent experience and/or qualifications will also be considered)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Significant demonstrated experience in delivering training of a technical nature
- Demonstrated professional experience and proficiency in Python and SQL
- Demonstrated professional experience in data analysis, statistics, or a data-related field
- Experience in Big Data ecosystem - algorithms, tools and technologies
- Experience with geographic information systems (GIS)
- Experience with analysis of time series
- Experience writing well-documented, maintainable code
- Experience in creating scientific content and communications materials
- Salary of up to £46,374 per annum
- Support work that will help the world’s most vulnerable people
- Enhance your existing experience with a leading not-for-profit
- Collaborate with a talented, passionate team
- 25 days’ holiday plus national holidays
- 37.5 hour working week
- Flexible working hours
This is a fantastic opportunity to share your expertise with others and enable them to effectively utilise mobile data to tackle humanitarian and developmental challenges.
Other organisations may call this role Mobile Data Trainer, Technical Trainer, Data Analyst, Analyst, Data Analyst & Researcher, or Analyst Trainer.
Advertised until filled.
Applicants should email careers+TDA0221@flowminder.org with the following (preferably in pdf format):
- A brief expression of interest outlining why you are interested in being part of the work
- CV(s) (2 pages) with details of relevant experience
Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications.