Survey design will be led by Flowminder. The implementing organisation will advise on selected survey design questions. Survey guidelines, protocols, and reporting templates will be co-developed by Flowminder Foundation and the implementing organisation.
The implementing organisation will be responsible for:
- Translations of the source questionnaire into three local languages
- Questionnaire programming in CATI software
- If applicable: interviewer recruitment, training, coordination and management
- Pilot interviews and adaptations of the questionnaires
- Full data collection
- Initial data cleaning of raw data
- Internal data quality monitoring and assurance
- Transfer of data and meta-data to Flowminder compliant with EU-GDPR and UK-GDPR
Geographic coverage includes all provinces of the DRC.
The planned net sample size is n=10,000 respondents. The gross sample size will need to take into account the expected response rate. Depending on the approval by the Mobile Network Operator (MNO), one of two sampling strategies will be implemented.
- Single-stage stratiﬁed sampling, single-MNO customers: This option requires the prior approval of the respective MNO. Stratiﬁcation and sampling will be designed and implemented by Flowminder. The implementing organisation will receive a sample ﬁle including DRC mobile phone numbers.
- Random Digit Dialing, multiple-MNO customers: Based on the provision of DRC phone operator codes, the implementing organisation will be asked to call potential respondents based on Random Digit Dialing; preferably based on a pre-selection of operator codes of a single MNO.
The source questionnaire will be provided in English and French. Translations to French, Tshiluba, Swahili and Lingala will be commissioned and checked by the implementing organisation. Questionnaire programming will need to include ﬁlters, randomisation of modules and/or questions. Flowminder needs to approve the ﬁnal versions of questionnaires as programmed. The questionnaire will at maximum include 4 open ended questions. Interview duration should be on average 20 minutes.
An interviewer questionnaire of up to 10 questions will also be included.
Training of interviewers
Comprehensive training of all interviewers needs to be implemented. If health regulations allow it, in-person should be done for all interviewers. A person from Flowminder will join and assist in the training sessions (via online connection).
Testing of the questionnaire in all available languages needs to be undertaken. Pilot interviews should be conducted between 23 and 25 August 2021. Revisions of the questionnaires and the debrieﬁng of interviewers will be done between 26 and 27 August.
Duration of data collection
The full survey is expected to be implemented between 28 August and 24 September 2021. Data collection must be completed by 30 September 2021.
During data collection, update reports should be sent every three days. Agreed indicators have to be monitored and communicated to Flowminder. Preliminary data should be shared on a daily basis.
Call-backs to 10% of respondents should be implemented for quality assurance following an agreed protocol.
The implementing organisation is responsible for initial data cleaning of the raw data. Duplicate cases must be removed or ﬂagged for removal. The dataset shall be sent in SPSS (.sav) and in Stata format (.dta) and must contain complete and accurate variable labels and category labels.
As part of the full data, date and time of the interview, interviewer ID and timestamps for each question have to be collected.
In addition to the dataset of complete interviews, a separate dataset of incomplete or aborted interviews has to be delivered. In addition to the datasets, a separate ﬁle on placed calls and types of nonresponse needs to be delivered.
Cooperation and Reporting
The implementing organisation will work closely with Flowminder Foundation’s Phone Survey Consultant and Survey Statistician throughout all phases of the survey, and will report milestones and deliverables and other information to both the Survey Statistician and the Phone Survey Consultant. Regular, at least weekly updates to Flowminder on progress of preparation and data collection, including agreed control indicators, are required.